The Stanford University Department of Surgery is dedicated to inventing the future of surgical care through:
• pioneering cutting-edge research,
• developing the next generation of leaders, and
• healing through incomparable surgical skills and compassion.
<10 new residents accepted each year
16 Outpatient Clinics
100+ faculty members
$30M+ Sponsored research
50,000+ sq feet of administrative and research space
1959 – Clinical portion of Stanford University School of Medicine moves from San Francisco to Palo Alto, CA.
1963 — Affiliations solidified with the Palo Alto Veterans Administration Hospital, the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, and the Kaiser Foundation Hospital in Santa Clara.
1974 — Division of Cardiovascular Surgery applies for departmental status and request is granted
1977 — Division of Pediatric Surgery is started.
1996 — Asian Liver Center is established.
1999 — Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is relocated from the Department of Functional Restoration to the Department of Surgery.
2000 — Stanford Byers Center for Biodesign is founded.
2007 — Goodman Simulation Center (now the Goodman Surgical Education Center) opens
2015 — Division of Emergency Medicine becomes separate department.
2015 — Dr. Mary T. Hawn is made Chair of the Department of Surgery.
2016 — Stanford-Surgery Policy Improvement and Education Center (S-SPIRE Center) opens.